- Mussels in a Creamy Wine Sauce
Wine is great for drinking, but can also be an excellent cooking ingredient. Try this easy recipe of steamed mussels in white wine and cream, pairing it with the hoppy Moonzen Thunder God Ale. You can thank us later.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
• 1.4kg French Mt St Michel Bay PDO live blue mussels, debearded
• 2 small onions, finely diced
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp butter
• 8 sprigs of thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 100mL dry white wine – Sileni Estate Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc Nano NV
• 400mL cooking cream
• 4 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
• Salt and pepper (to taste)
• Crusty bread (to serve)
1. Rinse the mussels well in cold, running water.
2. In a medium sauté pan, soften onion and garlic in butter over medium to low heat. Add thyme, bay leaf and wine. Increase heat to high.
3. Add mussels, cover with lid and steam for six to 10 minutes until shells begin to open.
4. Remove and discard any unopened mussels.
5. Stir in the cream and chopped parsley, and add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Remove from heat. Serve with crusty bread and your favourite beer.