Seeds and Nuts for Days
Great things come in small packages - we’re talking about seeds, nuts, grains and drupes! Packed full of vitamins, minerals, fibre and healthy fats, these tiny morsels are crunchy, delicious and great for our hearts, brains and waistlines. Below are some inspirations on how you can incorporate them into your daily meals.
Pecan, blueberry and coconut breakfast cookies; or
Cashew butter cup chocolate oatmeal; or
Chia seed pudding with coconut milk; or
Pumpkin flaxseed granola
Tagliatelle with poppy seeds and prosciutto; or
Moroccan spiced vegetable couscous; or
Quinoa-crusted chicken strips with barbecue honey mustard; or
Chickpea curry with rice
Snacks & Dessert:
Cinnamon toasted almonds; or
Roasted salted sunflower seeds; or
Savoury almond pumpkin seed butter; or
Chocolate hazelnut toffee bread
Snack Healthily: DIY Fruit and Veggie Chips
Making your own fruit and veggie chips and fries at home is a great way to be more conscious of what you are eating, especially if you love snacking. Watch the video for homemade snack ideas, and scroll down for the recipes!
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Carefully remove leaves from thick stems of kale and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and dry thoroughly. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and sprinkle with sesame.
3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.
1. Preheat oven to 110°C. Line baking tray with parchment paper and place apple slices on top in a single layer. Sprinkle cinnamon evenly over apple slices.
2. Bake for around 1 hour and then turn each slice over. Continue to bake for at least another hour. The longer the baking process, the crispier the chips.
3. Best served on the same day, but can also be stored in an airtight container for a few days.
Sweet Potato Fries
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Cut each sweet potato into finger-sized pieces. Line sweet potato fries on baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and dried thyme.
3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve.